Well, it is three days shy of two years since I last posted. I ended the last post by speculating that maybe in my next post I'd talk about how the Ukraine war ended, how Donald Trump was elected to another non-consecutive term, or that maybe Roe vs. Wade had been overturned.
The Russo-Ukraine War is still being fought. With weapons supplied by NATO countries, Ukraine regained about half the territory once held by Russia, but has been fighting to what feels like a stalemate, with the eastern regions of Ukraine still under Russian control. We shall see what happens.
In the meantime, a full-blown war has broken out in Israel. Hamas launched a surprise attack from Gaza on October 7 that killed 1200 Israelis. The ensuing war to dismantle Hamas has left Gaza in ruins and 30,000 Palestinians dead. Israel is about to enter the last stronghold of Hamas in Rafah, despite international pressure to cease fire. I say finish the job of dismantling Hamas, although doing whatever can be done to limit civilian casualties would be a good thing if possible.
Donald Trump has not yet won a second term, but he just clinched enough delegates in the Republican primaries to call himself the presumptive nominee in 2024. Biden is also now the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party. According to many polls, Trump has Biden in bad shape in swing states and in the Electoral College overall. So things are looking good from my perspective.
Prepare yourself for this next item. The event that once felt like some kind of elusive Holy Grail for pro-lifers has happened at last. Roe vs. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2022 in a 6-3 vote. The issue of abortion is now back in state hands, and many states have passed laws outlawing abortion or making it legal only in certain circumstances. Other states, like my own Oregon, still have very liberal laws on the books in regard to abortion. So we still have work to do.
In other interesting news of the times, SpaceX has tried twice to put Starship in orbit, but so far has not succeeded in actually getting the spacecraft to orbit the Earth. They have twice had to deliberately destruct the craft after certain things went wrong. But they learned a lot both times. The third try is coming up soon.
NASA's Artemis 1 launched last year. Artemis 2 is coming up. It is a very exciting time to be alive, to see us going back to the Moon and soon to Mars.
I should try to post more often. But I guess as long as I only post every several years, I may well give these news reports, to make for interesting reading later. So until next time, may God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment