Well, I thought I'd be writing more but I just can't seem to get motivated. Sometimes I write stuff that I chicken out on posting. Not horrible stuff, but stuff I just am not sure will make me seem like an intelligent person. Stuff that might make me seem like a rambler, like I'm writing just to be writing and not because I have anything important to say. I guess if one wants to get good at writing, he must write though, and get a feel for it.
The election is over, and although I hoped Romney would win an election that was at least close, he ended up losing and Obama topped 300 electoral votes. I actually predicted Romney would win with more than 300 electoral votes after seeing a prominent news personality predict something along those lines before Hurricane Sandy hit. I was disappointed. Four more years of a guy who is way too liberal for my comfort on a few issues, and who may now appoint Supreme Court Justices to uphold his views. But I wished him well on Facebook, and I will indeed be praying for him. The national journey goes on.
One interesting thing about recent politics is the number of firsts we have seen. In 2008, we saw the first woman run for President who had a decent chance of winning the nomination of a major party. If it hadn't been for the fact that the man who became the first black President beat her in the primaries, it's conceivable that she would have been President. In the same election, we saw the Republicans nominate their first woman VP candidate. In 2012, we saw the first Mormon presidential nominee. He lost to the first black President, but the race was close to the end. So, it seems like we have evolved somewhat since only white Protestants could make it to the Presidency. I think that's a good thing.
In sports, the Ducks are still rolling toward the BCS championship game. We beat Cal 59-17 tonight. Alabama lost today, so when the polls come out tomorrow, chances are that the Ducks will be #1 in the human polls and #2 in the BCS standings. At least we probably now control our own destiny. All we have to do is win out and we will be in the national championship. It might have been nice to get a chance to beat Alabama in the natty just to prove we can, but playing Kansas State or Notre Dame will be nice as well. The Oregon State Beavers lost to Stanford today for their second loss of the season. They aren't in the national hunt anymore, and might not even be Rose Bowl bound anymore, but they are doing better than people predicted before the season started. This is a special year for college football in the state of Oregon.
Well, in closing, I guess I'll post this quote, which I think makes a nice point.
"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." --Abraham Joshua Heschel
I don't know that I ever admired intelligent people over kind people like that guy, but lately I think I've realized more than ever the importance of being kind, especially if one professes to be a follower of Christ. And not just when you want to, but all the time, to everyone. Ultimately, the people who are serious about what is important in life will be kind, to even the lowest among us.
No comments:
Post a Comment